Air Quality

Wood heaters

Smoke from wood heaters can contribute to excessive levels of fine particles in the air which are known to increase the incidence of heart and respiratory diseases.  Smoke can also be an environmental nuisance for neighbours. The Environmental Management and Pollution Control (Distributed Atmospheric Emissions) Regulations 2007 are aimed at reducing these effects.

For information on how best to use your wood heater:

Burn Brighter this Winter 

SmartBurn ® – more heat and less smoke from your wood fire

For information on the current regulations regarding wood heater emissions:

Improving Air Quality 

For information on the potential health impacts of wood smoke:

The Tasmanian Department of Health and Human Services provides more information on the potential health impacts of wood smoke exposure and public health alerts for air quality at sites around Tasmania using real time data.


Open air burning

In accordance with the Health and Environmental Services By-law 3 of 2011, the use of open air fires and/or incinerators is not permitted on any premises:

  • having an area of less than 2000 square metres; or
  • within or partly within a residential zone (as defined under the Kingborough Planning Scheme 2000).

unless that fire is for cooking food, heating liquids or for warmth.

The incinerator or open air fire must be positioned:

  • no less than 5 metres from any boundary of the property; and
  • no less than 30 metres from any dwelling not on the property; and
  • clear of any overhanging foliage or other combustible material.

Where the use of an incinerator is permitted, the incinerator must be maintained in good order and fitted with a lid and spark arrester to prevent ash or other particles from escaping. 

A person must not burn materials in an open air fire or incinerator that causes a nuisance, is unsafe, or is dangerous to health. 

Residents should also be aware that on days of total fire bans, the use of open air fires and incinerators are not permitted for any purpose.

Health and Environmental Services By-law 3 of 2011


Are you having problems with smoke from a neighbouring property?

A complaint should be lodged in writing for Council to act on it.  There are suggested steps you should take before lodging your complaint with Council: 

  1. In the first instance, speak to the parties directly involved.
  2. Think about or discuss alternative solutions. 

If you have taken these steps and the issue still exists then you may choose to make a written complaint to Council.  It is important to note that prior to contacting Council, you should have detailed dates and times relating to when the smoke has been an issue and the address of where it is coming from.  This will assist in the investigation.

Council may be unable to effectively deal with anonymous complaints and does not become involved in neighbour disputes.



© 2011 Kingborough Council
Decrease font size  Increase font size